Saturday 14 November 2015

Generalised Anxiety Disorder, University and How I'm Coping... (#breakthesilence)

This is a subject close to my heart and always will be. I have suffered with Generalised Anxiety Disorder on a low level all my life but 6 years ago it got significantly worse. I've been coping with it day in and day out ever since, I also had a period in my life where I suffered with PTSD in addition but I think that's gotten much better thanks to a wonderful counsellor I was assigned in Secondary school, I just wish I could remember her name.

Just as a quick update: I have successfully survived freshers week with my liver and dignity in tact and I've currently got my nose to the grind preparing for my 1st semester exams (Hence lack of posts, sorry guys.)

Anyway, on with the post. It's scary to move from home, away from your comfort zone of friends and family and then be hit by "hey, here's all this work you have to do!" In fact, it's not even scary, it's bloody terrifying. And I know anxiety and depression can exacerbate the situation (Or even be caused by this situation). So I've compiled a short list of tips that have helped me stay calm (kind of) in the last several weeks. I know anxiety and depression are becoming more and more commonly diagnosed within the population and there's still a huge amount of stigma around it. So, If this article helps just one person, I've done my job. (I am a major supporter of the break the silence campaign, if you or someone you know suffers with any form of mental illness, for the love of everything, talk to eachother, look after eachother and more importantly, love eachother)


Now here - have a list:


1) Organisation

This is predominantly a work based tip but at the end of every week I put all my notes into files, do my laundry for the week, plan my week as much as I can and most importantly make sure my room is tidy. (I'm pretty sure My mum is more proud of this than my actual degree... Love you really, mum.) it's this process that really helps me get my mind clear and ready for the next week ahead.

2) Live in the moment

I know it's slightly contradictory to my last post about planning my week but please, read on and I shall explain all - I try and stop myself from worrying about things that haven't happened yet or that might never even happen, like my upcoming exams in December and January (Unfortunately, they are really happening). A little bit of worry is natural but allowing these things to cloud my mind too much can really destroy me; it stops me from dealing with my current problems. In other words, it stops me biting off more than I can chew. I will probably write a further blog post about my grounding techniques and how progressive muscle relaxation and hypnotherapy saved me from (further) insanity.

3) MOVE YOUR KEISTER, MEISTER!

I try and go to the gym where I can, this empties my mind completely. If you know me, you know I love Dana Linn Bailey and I love weightlifting. When I get really stressed I say "Bugger it all!" Scoff a banana and go and throw some iron around.
However, I recommend exercise to anyone and everyone, it can be anything! Just a short walk can help, it gets you away from the study desk and helps lift your mood completely!
4) Just stop, stop right there.
This is a bit of a sub-point from the last one but when things get too much and you get what my Dad affectionately calls "brain fuddle" just step away from whatever situation you're in that's causing the fuddle and do something else, call a friend, write a poem, write a blog, anything that will make you feel better and put your mind at ease. and remember, IT'S OKAY TO RELAX.


5) Call home

Because I'm probably coolest uncool person you've ever met, I love to talk to my parents on a night. It doesn't have to be everyday but talking to the people you love and unloading all your emotional baggage can really help.

6) Student services

I am yet to do this but I know in my university they have a fantastic team of people ready to help you with anything, even if you just want some sympathy and a chat. Major shout out here to the Mental Healthy Awareness Society for breaking the stigma here in Hull! 

Of course, this is just what helps me, you may have other means of coping. I know too well that sometimes they aren't always constructive and if you are struggling, I am willing to help anyone. (Pop me a message if you wish.) but go to your best friend, your GP, your student services and talk it out or for those like me how get very nervous talking to people about mental health - there's a wonderful little app called "7 cups of tea" where anonymous listeners are waiting to help you with anything. This app also provides 3 minutes of meditation and various other things to encourage the development of a more positive outlook.

Keep smiling, it will all be okay, I promise.

(Image sourced from: 
http://new.bsescampaign.com/ I do not claim it to be my own and I give full credit to the creators. In fact, I give a lot of credit t0 the creators for the project they're running. Thank you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment